This Sunday will begin the road to Serie A for the current defending champion, Flamengo, who comes from being crowned last weekend in the Campeonato Carioca. This tournament confronts the leading clubs of the state of Rio de Janeiro, when it defeated Fluminense 4 goals to 2 on aggregate in the final, in addition to finishing first in the group of the CONMEBOL Libertadores Cup. However, the team that will visit the mythical Maracaná Stadium is the current Copa Libertadores champion. Having recently finished runner-up in the Paulista Championship after losing to Sao Paulo 2 goals to zero on aggregate, this tournament brings together the best teams in Sao Paulo and finished the group stage of the Copa Libertadores at the top of its group.
5 interesting facts to review before Flamengo vs. Palmeiras matchday 1 of Serie A:
1. Current Brasileirao champions Flamengo have a record in their last five matches of only one win over Fluminense in the final of the Campeonato Carioca, the rest of the matches ending in draws.
2. Palmeiras arrives at its Serie A debut after a crushing 6-0 home win over Peruvian side Universitario. Still, it has accumulated one win in the four matches before this one, one draw, and two defeats.
3. In the last five meetings between the two, Flamengo has won on three occasions, and they have drawn the other two matches.
4. The two teams have met on 42 occasions, with Palmeiras dominating with 15 wins, the same number of draws, and 12 wins for Flamengo.
5. A total of 13 goals were scored in the last five games played between the two teams.
Can the reigning Brasileirao champions beat Palmeiras?
The team coached by the historic Rogério Ceni will seek to debut this Sunday against Palmeiras with a victory that will reaffirm the aspirations again to the title that this great team that lives at the Maracanã Stadium year after year competes to be at the top. With a squad led by great players such as Filipe Luís, Diego Alves, or Gabriel Barbosa, it is impossible to think that they will not be fighting again for the championship at the end of the season. However, they must return to the path of triumph since in their last five previous matches; they have only achieved one victory; the rest of the matches ended in draws for the red and black team.
Check out the best highlights of Flamengo’s last match against Velez: (Video courtesy of: CONMEBOL Libertadores)
Palmeiras wants to get off on the right foot in the Brasileirao
The current CONMEBOL Libertadores Cup winners will try this Sunday, May 30, to seek a victory at the mythical Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. They come inspired after the victory during the week against the Peruvian team Universitario. They managed to crush 6-0; they will be led by experienced players such as Felipe Melo, Luiz Adriano, and Lucas Lima, who have had a respected and recognized career in world soccer and will be motivated their Serie A debut.
Check out the best plays from Palmeiras’ last match against Universitarios: (Video courtesy of: CONMEBOL Libertadores)
Where and when to watch this game?
Palmeiras will be played on Sunday, May 30 at 12:00 E.T. at the mythical Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro and will be broadcasted on Arena Sport 3.
Flamengo: 10/13 (-142) – Best O/U: u2½-113
Palmeiras: 17/6 (+329) – Best O/U: o2½-120
Draw: 4/1 (+223)