This Saturday, July 4, at 8:00 pm, will be the last quarterfinal match of the Copa America 2021. The Ecuador National Team, led by Gustavo Alfaro, comes from qualifying with three points in the first phase of the continental tournament. They finished fourth in Group A and will face the Argentina National Team in the quarterfinals that finished the table leader. This is probably the easiest match for Lionel Scaloni’s men in this tournament, and they’re are sure to be the favorites. This match will be played at the Olympic Stadium Pedro Ludovico Teixeira and will be broadcasted on DIRECTV Sports at 20:00 E.T.
Here are five interesting facts ahead of the crucial quarterfinal match of the Copa America 2021:
- Argentina has never lost to Ecuador in CONMEBOL Copa América in 15 meetings (10V 5E). The Argentines have managed to score against the Ecuadorians in 13 of these 15 matches. However, this will be the first meeting between the two teams in a tournament’s knockout stage.
- Argentina has not allowed Ecuador goals in CONMEBOL Copa América in three of the last five meetings between them (3V 2E). In this period, the Albiceleste have scored 12 goals and conceded just two.
- Ecuador has lost only one of its last five CONMEBOL Copa América matches. However, it has failed to win any of these last five, recording four draws (three in a row).
- Argentina is the only team so far in the CONMEBOL Copa América that has been able to score from a direct free kick: Lionel Messi scored against Chile in the competition’s opening match.
- Lionel Messi of Argentina is the player in the current edition of the CONMEBOL Copa América who has completed the most dribbles (22).
Ecuador: Except against Brazil, Ecuador had possession in all the matches it played: against Colombia, Venezuela, and Peru. In the group stage, they averaged 56 percent ball possession, which might surprise some people who believe Alfaro’s teams give the ball to their opponents and have a conservative stance. In addition, they averaged 4.5 shots on goal and 1.25 goals per game (they scored five in the four matches they played). In percentage terms, Ecuador converted 27.7 percent of its shots on goal. The Tricolor’s oddity, especially since Alfaro coaches them, is the number of conceded goals. In total, they have conceded six goals, and in none of the four games they have played have they been able to keep a clean sheet.
Here are the best plays from the Ecuadorian national team’s last match: (Video courtesy of: Game Highlights).
Argentina: Argentina defeated Bolivia, on the night of June 28, 2021, in Group A of the Copa América. With this result, Argentina took first place in the group and will face Ecuador in the quarterfinals. The ‘Albiceleste’ won 4-1 against eliminated Bolivia, which finished in the last place. In this group, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Chile also advanced to the quarterfinals. On June 28, 2021, the ‘Albiceleste’ won with goals by Alejandro Gómez at 6 minutes, Lionel Messi (33, 42), and Lautaro Martínez (65).
Here are the best plays of the last match of the Argentine national team: (Video courtesy of: TyC Sports).
Ecuador: +580 – Best O/U: o2½-105
Argentina: -227 – Best O/U: u2½-131